Unmatched Liability Protection for AOTA members
Occupational Therapy Professionals are not immune to malpractice lawsuits and are sued for negligence, breach of duty, misleading statements and more. If you’re relying solely on coverage provided by an employer, you may not have enough protection.
- Coverage Details
AOTA Professional Liability
AOTA has partnered with Mercer Consumer to offer its members the extra coverage a personal plan can offer you.
Why You Need Your Own Professional Liability Insurance
Consider the likely gaps in your employer’s malpractice insurance that are leaving your career exposed:
- Claims-made insurance may not cover suits filed after you have terminated your employment
- Policy limits that may not be high enough to protect you and all your co-workers
- Coverage that may not include lost wage reimbursement or licensing board hearing reimbursement
Coverage that likely doesn’t extend outside of the workplace, such as when you engage in volunteer, moonlighting or self-employed activities
Why Proliability Coverage is the Right Choice *
Proliability is proud to offer you comprehensive coverage with competitive premiums – we don’t believe you should have to skimp on coverage to make it affordable for you. Our Occupational Therapists’ Professional Liability Insurance offers the following:
- Inclusive Insurance: Coverage available for employed or self-employed Occupational Therapy professionals as well as Occupational Therapy private practices. Coverage available members and non-members of AOTA
- Extensive Coverage: Various limit options up to $2 million per claim/$4 million aggregate per policy year
- Your Own Defense: Your own attorney to protect your best interests in a lawsuit
- Lost Wage Reimbursement: Reimbursement for lost wages due to various activities, including trial attendance, that may be required of you in your defense
- Court Costs Coverage: Payment of certain expenses incurred in your defense, in addition to the limits of liability
- Licensing Issues Reimbursement: Coverage for representation in response to licensing board actions, even if a malpractice suit isn’t filed
Liberty International Underwriters is the marketing name for the broker-distributed specialty lines business operations of Liberty Mutual Insurance.
*This is only a summary of insurance policy provisions offered in the program. Certain coverage benefits described herein may not be available in your state at the time of policy issuance, or may be available, but with differing terms and conditions. If any conflict exists between the benefits described herein and those contained in any actual policy issued, the terms and conditions of the issued policy prevail. Coverage is only bound upon underwriting acceptance. Applying and paying for coverage is not a guarantee of acceptance into the program.
Learn More about Professional Liability Insurance for Occupational Therapists
Learn more about our malpractice insurance for Occupational Therapists, including how much coverage you need and how to choose a deductible that's right for you.
Illinois Medical Professional Liability Law PA94-644, Senate Bill 475, requires insurers to implement a quarterly premium payment installment plan as prescribed by the Secretary of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations (IDFPR).
If you practice in the state of Illinois and your annual medical professional liability premium is over $500, please visit www.proliability.com/illinstall for information regarding installment payment options.
While many employers (not all) will provide some Professional Liability coverage, chances are that coverage may have some serious gaps, including:
- Policy limits may not be high enough to protect you and all your co-workers.
- You may not be provided with coverage for lost wage reimbursement, licensing board hearing reimbursement and defense costs.
- You may not be covered outside of the workplace, such as when you engage in volunteer or part-time work.
- You may not be covered for suits filed after you have terminated your employment.
Applying is just a click away! Get a no-obligation quote and apply for binding coverage instantly by clicking on the "Apply Now" button.
If you prefer not to apply online, you may also request an application to be sent to your home. Call 1-888-795-9340 to speak to your professional liability representative today.
Professional Liability Insurance protects you against covered claims arising from real or alleged errors or omissions, including negligence, in the course of your professional duties. Remember, legal defense and settlement costs are paid in addition to your limits of liability.
In the event of a lawsuit, your own Professional Liability Insurance policy would:
- Provide you with your own attorney.
- Pay all reasonable costs incurred in the defense or investigation of a covered claim.
- Pay you for lost wages.
- Provide reimbursement if licensing board issues were involved.
- Pay court costs and settlements in addition to the limits of liability.
All the plans offered by Mercer Consumer are tailored specifically for each profession to meet your unique needs.
The plan is administered by Mercer Consumer and underwritten by Liberty Insurance Underwriters Inc., a member company of Liberty Mutual Group. Mercer Consumer has handled the insurance needs of individual healthcare professionals, schools, universities and associations since 1949. As a trusted name in the Professional Liability marketplace, Mercer Consumer has earned a reputation defined by superior products and quality services.